Our top tips on how to network effectively
We are experienced networkers. That doesn’t mean we get it right all the time or go to every networking event out there. It does mean that we are open to new networking opportunities and we know how to make the most out of the networking we decide to take part in.
What is networking and why is it important?
Business networking, according to Google snippets:
interact with others to exchange information and develop professional or social contacts.
Here are some top tips on how to get the most out of networking.
- In-person networking is vital to business growth, making connections and finding new clients. It’s also important for knowledge and confidence building. Sure you can network online, but networking in person at real, live events makes a more significant impact to those you come into contact with. So, if you only network online then it’s time you got out there and tried a networking event in person.
- Be professional. Being professional is really important when networking. I’m not just talking about wearing the right clothes or having a perfectly designed business card (although business cards do help!). Being professional is respecting other businesses, who they are and what they do. Especially, but not only, if they are your competition.
- Be nice and treat others as you’d like to be treated.
- Tell your story instead of trying to sell your product or service
- Make eye contact
- Ask for business cards or flyers and give out yours
- Be open to sponsor opportunities
- Find services or products you need for you business or other businesses to collaborate with
- Be proactive and follow up after networking events
Networking for us is part of our marketing plan. Why? Because 85% of our client work comes directly from in-person networking. It’s also an enjoyable part of our jobs because we love meeting new people and learning about their businesses no matter what stage they are at!